for tania... for your recent beetroot crop. :)
a nanna recipe i'll hold with me always.
about 6 large beetroot
1 cup Vinegar Brown
2 cups water
3 cups sugar
pepper and salt
glass jars for storage (sterilise the jars in boiling water or in the oven)
1. remove leaves and cut off the stalks and the tails and scrub the beets clean.
2. boil the beets in a pan with enough water to cover them, until firm soft. remove beets from the water once soft and cool slightly.
3. set the now red water aside for later. remove the skin of beets, recommend the use of gloves.
4. put the red water that the beets were boiled in back on the heat, add brown vinegar, water, sugar, pepper and salt back on the heat and bring to the boil.
5. cut the beetroot into slices about 1/2cm to 1cm thick (or to your liking) into the mix of boiling liquid. bring back to the boil.
6. turn off the heat, and add the sliced beets to the glass jars, cover beets with liquid, pouring liquid to the top of the jar. HANDY HINT : before placing lid on, release air bubbles by running a knife down the side of the jar.
7. set aside to cool.
8. store along with all your other preserves. store in fridge once opened.
nothing like home preserved beetroot. if you've only ever had tinned beetroot - you need to try this!