Friday, March 11, 2011

belated lent challenge - day 44

i was thinking about this before Ash Wednesday hit... the day signifying the start Lent...

Lent is a time of abstinence... the christian season of preparation for the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday. a season of celebration of the salvation and rebirth on offer through Jesus.

i read this on a 'pancake day (Shrove Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday) explained' website today:
"In many traditions, Lent is a time for cleaning, in preparation for Easter and spring. First your soul, then your kitchen, then the rest of the house was cleansed and purified of the past year's accumulations."

previous years i have cut out habits of mine (like TV) that i believe interrupt the balance in my life and are distracting and futile in living a life of purpose and fulfillment.  it is my hope that by having a time of abstinence i fill that time with other more worthwhile interests and have improved balance, discipline and motivation following this period of time.

Ash Wednesday was this past Wednesday, March 9. so i've missed the start by 2 days.

this past year i have had massive issues with impulse spending and not getting on top of debt. so for this year's lent i am giving up excess spending. i am cutting myself off un-necessary spending... that means no op-shopping, no magazines, no ebay or online shopping... so aside from food and fuel, no spending for me until easter sunday.

the outcome is not just to prove to myself that i can survive not spending, but to know i can be just as satisfied and fulfilled without buying things to make my day feel good.  its having the motivation and the discipline to stick to a budget and be accountable for my spending.

that means free activities for me for the next 44days.  everyday's goal is to occupy myself with no cost adventures and hobbies.... beaching, riding, visiting friends, reading by the river, creating, crafting, organising... sounds very productive!

have just started setting up my crafting space so i can have a place of joy to spend these days.
i shall keep you posted on what i get up to. :)

2 comments:

  1. Good Luck, I am also going without spending for lent. I am only buying, food and cleaning products. Its going to be hard, but I have managed 3 days so far..

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to have some company! already having second thoughts - like i should have given myself an allowance for survival sake! good luck to us both. :)

    ReplyDelete